Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Other Games Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanzig

re: State of the MMO

I'm looking online at what sort of big budget MMO games are coming out.  The market seems to have shifted and there are games in development but none of them seem to even hint at a release date.  I'll list a few major ones here and then we can discuss what looks good, what looks bad and when we think a game will be out.  Add to this list any I missed!

Star Citizen:  Largest kick starter game ever to be funded.  Space games arent that common and a space MMO is pretty darn rare and this game hit every stretch goal and then added 10 more and hit those!  I think they are up to $72 million in funding.  Supposedly this will be out in 2015 but I am skeptical.  Dont get me wrong, the game looks great but I would expect this early 2016 given how much stuff they need to do.  I'm thinking everyone should at least try the beta when this comes out.

Everquest Next:  Sony is trying to implement some big ideas in EQ Next with more player-driven crafting/housing/content than in most other MMOs prior.  I was never much into Everquest in general but if this MMO looks good enough I'll play it.  Uncertain on a release date, anyone hear whispers of when this might be released?

Camelot Unchained:  If you loved Dark Age of Camelot then you will buy this.  You will not ask questions.  You will play Midgard nation and you will like it.  I was big into DAOC and this MMO seems like they want to capture that essence but on a new graphics engine and hopefully with a frontier PvP area that has guild-held castles and keeps and huge realm versus realm combat.  As long as it doesn't lag I'll play it.  No idea of a release date, I would need to do some research.

Given we don't know when many of these games are coming out we could decide to play something already released while we wait.  Guild Wars 2?  Elder Scrolls Online (which will be free to play next month)?  

Serendis

There are 3-5 JI very active in ESO right now, at or nearing endgame. Sera and I are leveling alts also. To be honest, I don't think I have another MMO in me in the next few years. I think ESO's future is bright, and I hope that holds true - I'm giving it what I've got. :-)

Just tossing my chip in!

In all honesty I feel like the MMO genre is on the down slope right now. So many AAA games have been released, failed to maintain subscription numbers, and have since gone F2P. It feels like news and development for future titles has slowed to a crawl, but this could admittedly be because I haven't been paying close enough attention. 

I'm not sure what the future holds, but the only thing that really has my attention on the horizon is Star Citizen... and it still feels sooo far away. It seems hard to imagine that it could ever live up to the hype at this point, and I say that as a backer.

In spite of the state of the genre, WoW seems to be enjoying a resurgence at the moment, and several titles have been able to be very successful after switching to F2P. We have members actively playing WoW, ESO, SWToR, and maybe some others that I'm not aware of. Getting people to leave what they are currently enjoying to all band together somewhere isn't likely to get much traction. Most of us have tried all the options already, and have settled in where we are having the most fun.

For me personally WoW provides the group PvE challenge that I enjoy the most. I am part of a successful raid team that goes 2 nights a week, and I would not leave that right now for any other game currently out. I've tried ESO and Guild Wars 2 and neither was all that enjoyable for me.

All that being said... I love gaming, and I love gaming even more with friends. I may not be up for joining another MMO with everyone, but I would love to play some other games with all of you. Whether it be a FPS, a MOBA like Heroes of the Storm, or something else... keep me posted on whatever you guys are enjoying and there's a pretty good chance I will join. 

Snazoficlies

I am currently playing some EQ2 with Steph.  I don't know if or when EQ Next will come out. With the change over from SOE to the other company, they chopped a lot of heads.. and part of them were on the EQ Next teams.  

Kanzig

One of the top four MMO games on mmorpg.com right now is Gloria Victus:

http://gloriavictisgame.com/

Gloria Victus is a free-to-play MMO with realistic combat based on a medieval world.  Looks like they will implement some minor forms of magic but it seems like an open world MMO and they have a large budget.  I never heard of the game until recently but I like what I see.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Other Games Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: