Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kanzig

re: Star Wars Battlefront

This looks really good.  Battlefield but in the Star Wars universe.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjqqwZGNHPg

Syrus
Syerus

Yep, it's at the top of my list.

Kanzig

Can't decide what looks better, being the pilot of a huge AT-AT walker and shooting those rebel scum or being the pilot of the Millenium Falcon and blasting apart those filthy imperial pilots!  Anyone know if there are "classes" of soldiers in this much like battlefield has?  I didn't dig into it yet.

Kanzig

Beta announcement!

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce

Hoofya

I'm looking forward to playing this one!

I now have a large concern.  All the footage I have found and all the data I have read leads me to believe there is no grouping system supported in the game.  There is a "partner" system so you and ONE buddy can group up and see each other on the mini-map and spawn on each other.  Fine.  Except that's it.  You cant group with your three other buddies, you can see your friends on the minimap and I dont even know if you and your friends can select the same server to jump into.  The server selection is done "automatically" and you cant pick a specific server.  I do hope I'm wrong on these items but damn...  talk about a step backwards.

Syrus
Syerus

I would be awfully surprised if Dice did not include a way for you to join your friends on a specific server. That has been a pretty standard feature on basically ever multiplayer FPS for the last decade. Until it's confirmed that this is the case, I wouldn't panic about it.

The no squads/grouping thing is less surprising. They have said all along that this is not a BF game and players should not expect the same level of sophistication in the multiplayer. They are aiming to make it more casual. As much as I would love it to be identical to BF in the Star Wars universe, it's not going to be.

Kanzig

As posted all over the battlefront web site there is an open beta for Star Wars Battlefront on October 8th.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront

The beta ends on October 12th so you only get 4 days to try it out.  I'll download it and try it, I have high hopes.  Electronic Arts would never crush my hopes and dreams right??

Syrus
Syerus

You know I'll be there. I've already purchased the digital deluxe version which I think gets me into all the upcoming beta tests (open or otherwise).

Did you see that they announced there would at least be dedicated servers? Still saying no server browser, however, which is disappointing. I am imagining a system in which you can join a friend who is playing, but not all join up beforehand and then pick a server. It's not an ideal system for our purposes, but it should at least still allow us to play together in some capacity.

I'll try to be on the JI teamspeak during the beta to chat about the game.

Kanzig

I'm pre-loading the beta now

Syrus
Syerus

I apparently thought that the Digital Deluxe preorder automatically added the beta test to Origin, but I guess it doesn't. Anyways, I'm now registered for the beta but have to wait another almost 2 hours to preload.

Syrus
Syerus

Just played a handful of matches. Love the Walker assault, didn't care for the other game mode nearly as much.

I went 30/4 in my last game so decided I probably ought to stop for lunch on a high note. I jumped into one of the turrets close to where the Rebels were spawning and just mowed a bunch of em down. Maybe none of them had their Ion card, cause they couldn't seem to get me out of it. It feels like the Imperials have a serious advantage on that map, but perhaps I just haven't seen enough games of it.

Hoofya

I'm going to play some walker assault today :)  I'm enjoying the game and the card game thus far.

So what does everyone think of Star Wars so far?  Keeping mind they have some game modes disabled and such.  I really wish I could play the mode where everyone is in either an x-wing or a tie fighter.

Syrus
Syerus

The following is my opinion from playing quite a bit of the beta over the weekend. I emphasize beta, even though this seemed more like a modern beta (demo) than a classic beta. In reality, with a little over a month until release... not much is likely to change from a gameplay or design perspective.

The good:

Probably the best thing that I can say about the game at this point is that it feels like Star Wars. The visuals and sound are outstanding, and feel like they were pulled directly from the movies. I tried to pay attention to the details as I was running around (not easy) and it all felt pretty much exactly as I'd hoped. Also the performance of the game seemed quite good for a beta. I did not run into any game breaking bugs, server issues, or fps problems. There was a slight hiccup for me on the screen showing score at the end of each round, but it was pretty minor and something that I expect can be fixed with a month to go, or in a Day 1 patch. It was very easy to jump into the action right away.  Seeing Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader jump into the action on Hoth was always particularly fun.

The questionable:

Unfortunately the more I played the beta this weekend, the more items I began to notice as disturbing. First of all, with no server browser there is no ability to customize a game to cater to either more/less skilled players. You are fully at the mercy of RNG when it comes to who you get put into a game with. The game gives you the ability to join a party with your friends, but then no way of all joining a game together. So one person in the party has to join a (random) game and then everyone else in the party has to try to join on him/her before the game is full. This feels clunky, time consuming, and ultimately irritating. I hope that the ability to join as party is a feature that was simply withheld for beta.

Also concerning is the Walker Assault map which felt horribly unbalanced. I saw at least a 10 to 1 win advantage for the Imperials. Yes, the Rebels can win as people around the internet will be quick to point out (if they know what they are doing). That doesn't make it balanced though... when one side has to know what they are doing, and the other side does not. Especially in a game where you can't choose the people on your server (see above). Not only unbalanced is the victory conditions for the map, but also the vehicles etc. contained within the map. If you are not lucky enough to get into a turret in a great location, or a AT-AT spawn then you will die (a lot). The players at the top of the leaderboards were consistently those who were lucky enough to get into an AT-AT at the end... something that requires more luck than skill.

I am slightly worried about the number of maps/game modes coming out at release... and their longevity/design. The beta contained two playable maps out of the 7 shown on the selection screen. One of these was a very small and simple team deathmatch map. The other was the aforementioned Walker Assault on Hoth. Walker Assault is a large map with at least 3 different phases and while the map itself is fun, it does feel to me to be a little simple. If each of the remaining game modes on the selection screen are one map each, then I think they are going to have a serious problem with maintaining interest. Even if a player liked all 7 of the games, that is still not enough variety to keep people entertained for a long period of time. If you don't care for a couple of them, then the time to burnout is even shorter.

Seeing what DICE did with the Battlefield series, the FPS action in this game feels a little watered down and simple. I think that might have been the point, but for me at least it feels disappointing. I'm going to hold out hope that there is more teamwork to be had as levels increase, and in different game modes.

So there you have it... my mini-review of the beta. All in all it was fun for a while and then ultimately I felt disappointed, and left wondering of what could have been. I've already purchased it, and while I might regret purchasing for $70 considering how bare bones the game feels... I still love Star Wars and it has that good Star Wars feel to it. Ultimately, however, for anyone who isn't a Star Wars super fan and needs to play the game right away... this feels like a title that should be purchased on sale for $35-40.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: