Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rieryn

re: Finally had to say good bye to my computer (2007-2015) RIP!

I have finally upgraded from my 2007 machine.  It lasted as long as it could and after many small upgrades it was dying. The poor thing, I think the mobo is cracked or something.  The video would cut out, but still could hear sound and the games and apps/software were still working in the background,  plus my internet would randomly shutoff and while still showing green lights, no data would come across.  I changed the cables, the video card, and even reinstalled, and then wiped and reinstalled.  So I gave up...

And built this from what I could salvage (2 smaller Hard drives and my recent video card purchase GTX 750 Ti in april)

Corsair Carbide Spec-01 case
Intel code I5-4690K
ASUS Z97-E ATX 1150
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

+2 SATA hard drives adding about 800 GBs until I can get a 2 TB drive. :)

So next will be new monitor and video card again I'm guessing...some day, when I pay this off. lol

Anyone know someone paying well for a kidney? I'm a rare drinker so its in good condition, I'm looking for at least $30K US!  LOL

Oh and I played a couple of hours of Battlefield 4 and it was awesome, I had no idea it could even be fun.  With all the stuttering, and pauses, etc.  But even with my new machine the load times to get into a game are horrible, is it like that for everyone?

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD
+2 SATA hard drives adding about 800 GBs until I can get a 2 TB drive. Happy    

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Kanzig

Looks like a good machine!  SSD, a good graphics card and 16GB of memory you should have fast freaking load times.  Im still on a standard 7200 rpm hard drive so I must suffer until I upgrade.  How much space do you have to spare on your 250 GB hard drive after installing the OS?  Much?  I'm trying to figure out how big of an SSD drive I truly need.

I've seen bad load times for BF4 and much of that is probably the host just trying to load and push map data to all the clients connecting.  You have to wait for that like it or not.

Syrus
Syerus

Good stuff Rieryn! Glad to hear that things are working, and running much more smoothly!! 

Kanzig, My Windows 10 install is currently using up about 35GB of space on my boot drive which is a 128GB SSD. I also have a 2nd 256GB SSD that I install most of my frequently played games on. You could probably get by with a 128GB drive if you only cared about installing a couple games on it.  I don't know though... game installs are getting pretty large these days.  If I only had one SSD, I wouldn't go smaller than 250GB I don't think.

Rieryn

I plan to only have 2-3 games max on my SSD as 250GBs goes fast when games can be 30-50GBs.

But right now I'm just planning to host my FPS games on it, Battlefront and BF4.  Most likely games I play online competitively only.  I put everything else on the other drives for now.  I plan to replace those old drives with a 2TB 7200 hard drive sooner or later.

Right now I'm looking at a new monitor for Christmas, no idea what to get, but my mother-in-law is giving me $200 toward one.  And then next year I'll go for a better hard drive.

I also upgraded my phone today to a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active, so I'm broke! LOL

Good to know that BF4 load times just suck in general. :)  It is way annoying to wait a few minutes to get into a game, then get stomped because I am so out of practice.

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Syrus
Syerus

I would strongly consider getting a 144hz monitor. In my opinion 1080p is still ideal. Unless you plan to stay at the cutting edge of the GPU life cycle then you are going to have some issues running games in 1440p or 4k. Running any modern game at 1440p and Ultra graphic settings is very taxing. I think it's a better experience personally to stay at 1080p and get ultra settings at really high framerates.

Let me see if I can find the monitor that I just bought for my latest build for a good friend...

Ah here we go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

This is far from the best 1080p/144hz monitor you can get, but I was on a budget. It seemed very solid though and the picture on it was awesome. It made the monitor I currently have seem dull in comparison. 

You could alternately go for one of the new g-sync monitors. That feature seems pretty nice to me, but you are going to pay for it...

Rieryn

Thanks Syrus!  I will check that out.  

I'm looking to get a better monitor than my current one, and spend between 200-300 max! I am planning to upgrade my video card again next year (now) as long as I still have a job, etc. 

I will have to do some research as I am way behind on monitors and such...I haven't even seen a 1440 vs 1080. I've been at 1080 for like 3-4 years...

Are there any decent monitors that I could get for $400 or less that would be great once I get a new video card around April?  I prefer to get something that is an upgrade and then would be even better with a better card?

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Syrus
Syerus

Well unless you are going to spend $500+ on a video card, then you are going to be limited by either resolution or refresh rate. Resolution being the number of lines that your monitor draws on the screen, and refresh rate is a hardware limit on the frames per second that your monitor can display.

Most mainstream monitors today are 1080p resolution and have a refresh rate of 60hz... meaning they can display up to 60 fps without any potential screen tearing of images. You want to get something better than this, in my opinion. The choice then comes down to whether you get a higher resolution monitor, or one that can display higher frames per second.

For me personally, I think the higher refresh rate is more important (right now). Fast action games that draw a lot of new information to the screen are going to look smooth at a faster refresh rate. Even if your new video card can only display SW:Battlefront (for instance) at 90 fps it will still look much better (in motion) than it would on a 60hz monitor. If you don't care about ever going past 60 fps, then perhaps looking at a 1440p resolution monitor would be better. Keep in mind though that a higher resolution is very taxing on your graphics hardware. Unless you plan to get a very expensive gpu, then you might struggle with fps regardless of the refresh rate on your monitor.

Rieryn

Thanks Syrus, that is a lot of good information.  I actually never look at frames per second, it just isn't something that I have ever cared about.  Mostly because my computers are rarely top of the line. 

I have a 22" monitor now, and am really looking for a 24-27" monitor as a replacement.  I enjoy my FPS games, but also play a lot of other game genres.   I may have to visit microcenter and see if I can see the difference between them before I order something.  I am planning to order around Thanksgiving as its for christmas. :)

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Rhythm
Rhythm-JI

When I built my current machine several years back I put in a 128 SSD for boot disk thinking it should be enough, and despite making a conscious effort not to install or save things on the C drive, it eventually (6 months ago or so) filled up and I had to mirror it to a new 240gb drive. The killer is the c:/users/*/AppData folder.... currently 191gb and climbing. So I would definitely not recommend a 128 as your C drive...even my wife's machine (same machine specs) eventually filled up and she has way less stuff installed than I do.. just replaced her drive last week in fact.

Rhythm,

When you replaced these drives they were the bootable drives with the OS installed?  Did you use a utility to copy them onto the new drive so it was just a simple swap?  Im trying to avoid re-installing my OS when I switch to an SSD

Rhythm
Rhythm-JI

Yes they were the boot drives, and yes used disk clone software. Popped in the new drive and continued as if nothing had happened.

Yeah, that was why I went for the 250GB SSD, plus that was all I could afford. 

I wished I could have gotten a larger one, and I've already seen a few programs install there that I didn't want to.  I Had to move and reinstall all my steam games to the external drive.  I wasn't paying attention and the first few downloaded to the SSD.  

What program did you use to clone the boot drive?

Hopefully I can find a decent monitor on Monday that isn't too expensive!  I'm hoping to get a slightly larger one, I have 2 22" right now.  I am still unsure if I want to stay at the same resolution or not, 1920*1080 or move up some, even if I sacrifice some FPS.  But with a budget of $200-300 max...we will see.  

I'm checking out the ones that were suggested to me first!

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: