Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanzig

re: Total War: Warhammer

This looks excellent.  I am buying this.  Now I have to decide what race to play.

Rieryn, what race are you going to play??  Dwarves? Empire? Chaos? Orks? Vampires??

https://www.totalwar.com/product/total-war-warhammer

Rieryn

I'm not sure yet to be honest, I was thinking Orks or Dwarves, then Vampires until I learned the Vampires have no missile weapons.  :( 

I think Dwarves are my first choice though and I'll play through that first, then Orks before I try any others.

I'm learning to play Attila now, making a lot of mistakes. lol 

Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD
+2 SATA hard drives adding about 800 GBs until I can get a 2 TB drive. Happy    

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Kanzig

I was thinking orks or chaos, they both look cool for different reasons.  Vampire Counts would be interesting, I like the idea of controlling undead and they wont ever have to make a morale check, why run from a fight if you are already dead??  

Rieryn

That's true but if you lose your leader as undead your troops crumble!

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Kanzig

10 days until release

Syrus
Syerus

You guys playing this yet? I'm curious as to how it is...

I'm not really a big fan of the Total War series, but the Warhammer thing has me intrigued.

Kanzig

Played through the first 15 turns of the campaign as Chaos, Empire and Orks.  Graphics are excellent and it's just what you would expect if you combined warhammer with Total War.  The advisor guy helps you with the initial few turns giving advice but if you dont know what you are doing you might need to restart at some point if you lose a particularly crucial battle.  I think Im favoring orks but it's rough, everybody and their brother is at war with me.  Why are they so racist against greenskins?!  We just want to eat stuff and kill stuff and bash some of their heads in  :)

Rieryn

That sounds about like my experiences also.  I made a few mistakes and had to restart a couple campaigns, but all in all it is fun, but very difficult compared to past Total War games.  At least for me. 

I have lost multiple campaigns and had to back down from Very Hard to Hard difficulty.  I tried the Greenskins/Orks first and had to restart that campaign once already because I didn't quite get the Fightiness idea.  Then I started going pretty good and the damn dwarves and non-greenskin orcs both rushed me with multiple army stacks each.  Killed my main army, my secondary growing army and my first waagh army. :(  I tabled that campaign as I doubt I can save it.

I then tried the Vampires and ran into a wall of dwarves that I was able to smash some of.  Basically the 2 closest dwarven cities were razed and I let them be, which was a mistake.  They came back, rebuilt and pressed me from the north and west while I was fending off the stirland and one other human army. :(  That campaign was on hard and is waiting for me to learn a little more about the game before jumping back to.  I'm having economic issues all over the place. :( 

Finally I went and started a Dwarven campaign this weekend which is going okay so far.  I had to save scum once back 5 turns as I'd lost the campaign when the orcs showed up with an army and a waagh while i was chasing a quest battle.  They took all but one of my cities and the dwarves as soo damn slow I couldn't get back before they were taking the last one.  So, that was a loss.  I backed up and did not chase down the quest mission and am currently defending against their 2 armies in a nice slot canyon at my doorstep.  My second army is holding another corridor and hoping to survive the greenskin stack coming after it next. :(  

I have not had one easy start yet, even on normal the game can be punishing for the races I've chosen.  I hope to go back at the Orks again as I like the idea of them, but the playstyle and army gathering is a bit odd to me.  It's completely opposite the turtle mentality.  I couldn't even afford to build a research building as them because I spent too much time trying to get cash, public order, and boost garrison strength to survive the multiple attackers.  Just like with the Vampires everyone hates and attacks the orks, even other orks. 

But with all that said, I love the game and cannot get enough time to play it.   I haven't even tried the coop or multiplayer yet, but knowing it's there means I'll have to try and secure some planned gaming time to try it.  ;)

I definitely like this game more than Attila.

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Kanzig

Rieryn,

My main campaign is orks.  I actually was doing well with Empire and have an excellent start but orks seemed more appealing.  The fightiness is a pain but if you make a point of doing raiding stance in enemy (or even neutral) territories you can keep the fightiness high and gain cash doing it.  For my campaign that is key.  Raid over here, raid over there, who doesnt like raiding??

I also have a campaign for Chaos which is a very weird race.  You dont occupy land, ever.  You carry totems and tents with you, it's like the Dothraki from Game of Thrones.  A giant horde of cavalry and archers moving across the lands sacking and pillaging.  It was fun but I dislike their whole anti-religious theme so I stopped playing them.  I'm hoping to win with orks soon and maybe we can do some multiplayer?

Rieryn

I haven't tried chaos yet and my Ork campaign imploded and I lost when I lost my main army and waagh.

I will try to spend more time raiding next time I play Orks!  I definitely did more conquering than I should have and spread myself really thin early on.

Crucial 16GB D3-1600
Samsung E 850 250GB SSD

Dual RX 380s 4GB
Kanzig

I had to give up on the greenskin campaign.  After 100 turns you will suffer so much corruption you keep getting rebellions in your own areas over and over and over.  Orks have no good way to combat this, they arent able to manage obedience so it keeps happening.  You might be ok if ahead of time you built boss tents everywhere in every settlement ahead of time.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Justice Incarnate Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: